The Quality of our Relationships Determines the Success of our Mission
We focus every day on supporting the needs of our Clients, Animal Patients, Referring Vets and Employees. We also invest in relationships with others in the fight against animal cancer – vendors, industry organizations, academia and charitable groups. Enjoy learning here about some of the ways we nurture these valuable relationships.
DVM, DACVIM (Oncology),
recognized by March of Dimes as a Woman of Distinction.
JERRY P. SHANK, DVM
Driven by our responsibility and privilege to support the sharing of knowledge, experience, and camaraderie with oncology specialists throughout the world, we are pleased to sponsor three very important industry events in 2023.
ACCC was a proud sponsor of the 2023 ACVIM (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine) Forum in Philadelphia, held on June 15-17, 2023. The world’s largest veterinary specialty organization, ACVIM provides veterinary specialist accreditation in five areas, including oncology. The Forum serves as a premier platform for sharing advancements and research in veterinary internal medicine, ultimately enhancing clinical practice and animal health.
As the sponsor of the full day of oncology seminars at the Forum, we brought a special guest, Dr. Renee Alsarraf, an esteemed veterinary oncologist and author of Sit, Stay, Heal: What Dogs Teach Us About Living Well. Her poignant story of her and her dog’s simultaneous cancer diagnosis and treatment moved us, and we were pleased to provide the book to all oncologists in attendance. We also hosted a private dinner where Dr. Alsarraf and other veterinary oncologists and professionals could relax, connect, and share.
VCS Annual Conference
The Annual Veterinary Cancer Society (VCS) Conference gathers specialty veterinary professionals dedicated to advancing the field of oncology via research and collaboration. Their annual conference offers lectures, workshops, and exhibits to advance diagnostic techniques, treatments, and trends in veterinary cancer management.
ACCC was honored to be a sponsor of the 2023 event on October 12-14 in Reno, Nevada. Many of our doctors, nurses, and technicians were in attendance. We brought special guest Dr. Renee Alsarraf, author of Sit, Stay, Heal: What Dogs Teach Us About Living Well, (see ACVIM Event), for a book signing. We are grateful for these opportunities to connect and share with fellow oncologists within our industry.
The American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) holds an annual Summit conference to bring together leading veterinary surgeons, specialists, and researchers. Because surgery is critical in the treatment of so many cancers, we support the advances in surgical techniques, technology, and practices that ACVS facilitates.
ACCC was pleased to be a sponsor of the 2023 Summit in Louisville, Kentucky on October 12-14, 2023. We were proud to have our specialized surgeons attend as presenters and participants as they remain informed of all of the latest medical developments.
CONNect with us
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
HOW TO NAVIGATE THROUGH THE CANCER DIAGNOSIS
*Sessions are on Tuesdays
- June 18
- July 16
- August 20
- September 17- Laura Green, DVM, of Merck Animal Health, will be presenting.
View our past webinars
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibition: The Rising Star in Oncology Therapeutics by Laura Greene, DVM, Merck Animal Health (9/14/23)
- Hemangiosarcoma by Ashlyn Williams, DVM, Practice Limited to Oncology (8/10/23)
- Demystifying Cancer Diagnostics by Carrissa Wood, DVM, Practice Limited to Oncology (7/13/23)
- You diagnosed a client’s pet with cancer: How do you break the news? by Evan Sones, DVM, MS, DACVIM (Oncology) (6/8/23)
- Radiation Oncology in the 21st Century by Jarred Lyons, DVM (8/26/21)
- Melanoma: Everything You Need to Know About Melanomas by Ricardo Fernandez, DVM (7/22/21)
- Transitional Cell Carcinoma : To Pee or Not to Pee by Ashlyn Williams, DVM (6/24/21)
- A Review of the Principles of Surgical Oncology by Tammi Ruddle, DVM, DACVS (5/20/21)
- Mast Cell Tumors: An In-depth Review & New Horizons by Erin Roof-Wages, DVM DACVIM (Oncology) (4/22/21)
- Lymphoma: The Essentials by Evan Sones, DVM, MS, DACVIM (Oncology) (3/18/21)
By Evan Sones, DVM, MS, DACVIM
Breaking the news about a cancer diagnosis has been discussed for many years as it relates to humans, although little literature exists on the topic for pets. However, based on my own personal experience, delivering this bad news can be just as devastating to clients. How these conversations are handled can play an impactful role in how pet owners deal with the situation, make decisions about their beloved family member, and view their future journey.